In Which I Realize EVEN MORE Of The Work Was Already Done For Me

In my last post, I noticed that the TO&E for the Battle of Luzerne had already been published in the Beta rules for Abstract Combat System.  Now I'm faced with another humiliating prospect:  If I had just waited a little while, MegaMek would have put out a version that would do the Strategic Battleforce Conversions for me.

That version wasn't released when I did all of my conversions by hand.  It became available a few months later.  Its still in development and probably has some bugs.

Out of curiosity I decided to try it out.

Using it is relatively simple.  I downloaded and installed MegaMek 0.49.12 and started a new game.  Then I switched over to force view.  I created my forces and sub forces (here just using letters of the alphabet as placeholders) and then placed units within them.

After this I right-clicked on the parent force up at the top and then selected the Convert to SBF option.

Then on the record sheet that appear I made sure the show individual units button was pressed.

What I appreciate most about this, other than not having to slog through a bunch of math.  Is that it answered some basic questions about converting things like Warships etc.  Things for which there were not solid examples of in the rulebooks.  Here is a converted warship, a unit type who's rules I had trouble parsing.



Comments

Popular Posts